Hi there, I hope you are doing well. This news will bring encouragement for how to thrive in our current world situation.
I use to be so insecure and didn’t realize the difference between self-esteem and self-confidence. Once I realized what I could do to gain both, it changed everything. Enjoy………
Understanding the Difference Between Self-Esteem and Self-Confidence
Did you know… People often confuse these two terms. Many assume they’re simply just two different words for the same thing, but this isn’t true. You can have a lot of self-esteem and minimal self-confidence. The opposite is also true.
Having both is important. You’ll be more successful, happier in general, and happier with yourself if you can cultivate both qualities.
Why it matters…See how self-confidence and self-esteem are two different things:
- Self-confidence is situation-specific. You can have a lot of self-confidence regarding your ability to do the math, host a great party, or play basketball. You can simultaneously have zero self-confidence in your ability to cook or sing.
◦ Self-confidence is the amount of trust you have in yourself to do a particular task well.
- Self-esteem is the general impression you have of yourself. Self-esteem is a form of self-love. It’s how pleased you are with yourself in general.
You can have a lot of self-confidence and very little self-esteem. The opposite can also be true.
- Self-confidence is easier to build. Self-confidence is the result of preparation and success. For example, if you prepare well for an exam, you’ll have confidence in your ability to do well on that exam. When you have a history of doing well at something, you’ll develop self-confidence in that area.
- Self-esteem can’t be built with achievements, but self-confidence can. A wall full of trophies and awards can really boost your self-confidence. However, it may do little for your self-esteem. You can be great at something without valuing yourself.
Building self-confidence is work, but the work that needs to be done is quite clear. If you want to be confident at shooting free-throws, shoot 100 of them each day until you’re consistently successful. Practice giving speeches until you’re good at giving them and you’ll develop self-confidence in that area of your life.
Learning to love yourself more will help you build self-esteem.
What to do…Practice these techniques to build your self-esteem:
- Identify your values and use them to guide your decisions. List your values and refer back to your list often. Think about changes you can make to your life to live according to your values. Failing to adhere to your values is a leading cause of low self-esteem.
- Reject perfection. If you’re trying to be perfect, you’re going to fail. If you consistently fail at living up to a standard, your self-esteem will suffer. Lower the bar to something achievable and give yourself the chance to be pleased with yourself.
- Volunteer. Spend some of your time each week helping others that are less fortunate. This is a great way to show yourself that you’re a kind and giving person. Find an organization that serves a cause that you feel empathy for.
- Manage your self-talk. If you spend all day insulting yourself, it’s tough to feel good about yourself. There’s no way to permanently shut down your inner vocalizations, but you can manage them. Stop yourself when you notice negative self-talk and turn it to something positive.
You can have one without the other. But it’s much more powerful to have both than to only have one. You can be wildly successful with just self-confidence, but your successes will never make you happy or satisfied. Both work together synergistically to create a life experience that can’t be duplicated any other way.
Build self-confidence in the areas that serve you. Build your self-esteem so you can love yourself.
If you would like my two free e-books for setting clear boundaries & managing anxiety download them for free click here
P.S. It’s never been a better time to develop yourself than now. Women are doing INCREDIBLE things in our world, and you can too! Do you struggle with speaking up powerfully, trusting your own inner guidance to make the impact you want to make? That is part of what we do together to get you results.
Do you want inspirational tools for ways to manage anxiety and fear? Need to find peace and hope for the future? You can receive “live” coaching, strategies, and tools for whatever your needs are in this group. Go here to join
Experience for yourself the feeling of accomplishment with my free coaching call. No pressure, just bring to the call what you would like to overcome or accomplish in our call.
Schedule a FREE 45 minutes “Rapid Anxiety Results Coaching“ Breakthrough Session” or any current issue you are dealing with now. HERE
Kathy’s Confidence and Success Coaching & Seminars can help!
“I pray you are loved and empowered in all things”
P.S. I am committed to sharing with you the best of what I’ve learned for 30 years with confidence coaching and helping to inspire others.
Most of all I’d love to hear what you’ve been up to!
Hit reply or schedule above to let me know what your needs are and how I can help. And let’s connect on A Community for Confidence, Motivation, Extraordinary Growth and Vision